(somber piano playing) - If only he'd never gone.
He'd have been spared the yellow fever and he'd still be with us.
(woman crying) - I was surprised to learn Sidney was in Antigua.
- Oh, we were as surprised as you.
We cannot account for it.
(dramatic piano music) - This is my sister Alison.
- We await the arrival of Colonel Lennox and his company.
- How thrilling.
- We have even attracted our own artist, Charles Lockhart.
- I imagine, Lord Babington must be growing impatient for an heir by now.
- Perhaps the sea air might help me recover.
- Perhaps God does not intend for you to be a mother.
- I will swallow any pill, subject myself to any treatment.
- My sister Alison.
- I am besieged by fortune hunters.
- You are not the only one who's been trying to evade a proposal.
- Ralph Starling, our father is keen.
- Colonel Francis Lennox, at your service, my aid, Captain Fraser.
- Mr. Colbourne, Ms. Heywood is here about the governess position.
- I just want to see you happy again, Charlotte.
- I speak of Colonel Lennox.
- Barely exchanged five words.
- Sometimes, that is all it takes.
(ladies screaming) - What is it?
- While you are here you will keep your distance, especially from Esther.
- I noticed you in the assembly rooms yesterday.
- I wonder what it was that caught your attention.
- I find your true character hard to ascertain.
- Cannot blame you for seeking his company over mine.
- I thought I'd made it perfectly clear that you were never to darken my doors again.
- I'm with child.
- Accept your responsibilities as the child's father.
- Will you marry me?
- If we marry, with you disinherited, he's the next male heir.
- And I suppose we would also benefit.
- You have not considered Esther.
- Don't you worry about Esther.
I'm taking care of her.
(water splashing) - Why did William not try to save me.
- I was just about to dive- - Stop!
- I fear she's become a danger not only to herself, but to those around her.
- Your company has been running up a lot of credit across town.
- I believe you have a rival.
- Miss Heywood.
- Thank you, sir.
- Well Miss Lambe, have I captured you?
- Is it not peculiar, how we can be strangers to our own affections?
- Sidney's possessions, at last.
- If you wish to honor my memory, protect Georgiana from the man who has been seeking to claim her fortune, Charles Lockhart.
(glass breaking) - Oh!
- He set out to convince you, you were insane.
The tincture you placed your hope in, - we replaced with this.
- You're despicable!
- You and your men have taken gross advantage of this town.
You have behaved abominably towards Ms. Heywood.
You have insulted me and my family.
I will not stand for it.
- So you thought to gain my money by marrying me.
- There's something else you should know.
Your mother did not die when you were a child.
- I have taken advantage of my position over you.
You are the girls' governess and I am master of the estate.
- Miss Heywood!
- Honor me with the greatest rank of all, that of your loving husband.
- Your child needs his mother.
- Don't you see?
I cannot be his mother!
(baby crying) (dramatic music) - I assume she's told you our happy news.
- What news is that?
- Ralph and I are to be married.
(upbeat violin playing)